Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Drawing on Walls

Commission- A boy named Drew
Conte crayon 20 x 13

When I first fell in love with art, my mediums were crayons and pencils. Like many young artists, too young to know the difference between paper and walls, I decorated my parent’s home with my little masterpieces. Even then drawing was an obsession. When I was scolded for drawing on the walls, I switched to the walls behind the drapes, or behind the coats in the closet. Lying on my back, I even decorated the underside of the coffee table. Many of my creations weren’t discovered for decades! Fortunately my parents were both artists and understood the need to create, so I was supplied with piles of paper, crayons and pencils. When I took it upon myself to help my daddy finish an ink drawing that he had been working on for weeks and I ruined it, of course, he decided it was time for my own art table. It was placed right beside his. Now, many years later, I still crave to draw, but not so much on walls anymore.

Drawing is the backbone of painting, the foundational structure of the composition. Draw well and the painting goes well. Each stoke of paint is placed correctly because of the artist’s skill in drawing. If the artist draws poorly, the brush strokes will be shaped poorly. Instead of drawing lines, with a single brush stroke we are drawing with shapes. Those correctly created shapes become mass. This applies equally to abstract as well as realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment