Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Spring has sprung

Spring has finally come to Montana. While Howard and I were teaching in Kansas, the weather here was rainy and cold, but yesterday as we drove home, the sky opened up and the sun was brilliant. Our trees are green and our flowers are finally starting to bloom. This is such a colorful time of year. I love it! It is probably safe enough to plant new flowers directly in the ground. But for now, I will start planting pots to surround my porch with color. With all these beauties at my fingertips, my brushes are eagerly waiting for me to paint.

These two paintings are two of my very first oils and were painted back in the summer of 2003, when I first decided to find out who I would be when I painted in oils.

Pots of Pretties 14 x 18 oil: I bought the little pansies in a “six Pack” at the local nursery. Eager to start painting the little pansies, I did not even plant them in the pot, for fear that they would wilt. Instead, I gently set the “six pack” and all into the pot, set up some low exciting lighting, grabbed my brushes and the paint started flying. This painting was accepted into the CM Russell Museum Show that year and it was my first oil painting in a national show. I was hooked on oils.


Planted First 16 x 18 oil: Howard and I were at the florist looking for cut flowers to paint when this little begonia plant looked up at me. It was love at first sight. She had to be painted! Now I will remember her always.

No comments:

Post a Comment