Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Memories

Reflecting on all those we love.
We don’t stop often enough and think of the very many ways that our service men risked their lives for us each and every day, not only in war but in natural catastrophes as well. I am so grateful for all that they have done and are doing for us.


my dad….David Swartwout – Coast Guard


My dad was proud to serve his country in the Coast Guard during WWII. Besides protecting our freedoms during the war, my dad was also an artist for the service men. Drawing and painting was always his passion and later his career. In high school, he was the newspaper cartoonist and he continued cartooning in the Coast Guard to entertain and cheer up the troops. He lived 40 years past the end of the war, had a very successful art career and, with my mom by his side, raised a family. He managed to turn all three girls into artists. I am so blessed.

Betty and Dave


Memorial Day also marks the day that I lost my mom 4 years ago. She was one of the first civilian women draftsmen for the Coast Guard. During the war, she drew up the blue prints and plans for the ships and destroyers. To read more about my mom click here.

Reflecting back on all my loved ones that are gone, I have so much to be thankful for, most of all for their love. Good memories never die, their love is with you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment